Thursday, 18 September 2014

A quiet afternoon at school, and time to share some thoughts

                        Post XIII

Still no internet, but I don’t mind. I have been really busy at work and also socialising with the teachers so I have barely been home anyway. The workload is rather relentless, but the work is also rewarding so I don’t mind. My only issue is that sometimes I have very little to do during the school day, but once school finishes and I should be going home, all of a sudden I am given a million things to do. But yeah, I guess I have to fit myself in around the Japanese teachers schedule because they are significantly more busy than me. 

School lunch is always the hardest part of my day. I have eaten things that taste gross, things I didn’t even know were eaten, and things that the very concept of is gross. Example: the theme of one meal was “mother and child”. Which meant that we had an egg and chicken rice dish, served next to three whole fish about 4 inches long. I don’t like eating whole fish, but I have gotten used to it so I was like “fuck it” and just cracked on. After biting in to it, I quickly realised that the fish was very heavily pregnant, because it was full of tiny eggs. This is without a doubt the most disgusting thing CONCEPTUALLY I have ever eaten, but actually it didn’t taste that bad I have to say.

 Lunch is often quite fun too, there was this one kid goofing around who stole one of the other kids muffin and refused to give it back. I have like zero authority over the kids because I goof around as much as they do, so instead I offered the other kid “my” muffin. The little joker who stole the muffin’s face instantly washed out. You could see that he was thinking: Oh shit, sensei doesn’t realise I am joking and thinks I have actually stolen the kid’s muffin. He promptly returned the child his muffin, and gave mine back to me, with a look that said “alright kill joy” on his face. Then, he suddenly realised that I had two muffins. Then, it clicked that I had sneakily stolen his muffin, pretended to be offering my own to the child, but all the while offering the little jokers muffin. The look on his face when he realised he has been beaten at his own game was priceless.

 I also had my first Nabe party. You all cook a stew together on the kitchen table, and just continuously add food and drink beer until you can eat and drink no more. So that was pretty awesome. So much so I think I will buy a Nabe pot in time for winter. Other than that, it’s been practicing for the music festival, training my speech contest student for tomorrow, keeping half an eye on Scottish independence, sleeping whenever I get the chance, and parties. I often think “I wish I had more time”, but then I think to myself, well I am already just doing all the stuff I want to do anyway, so what would I even do with the extra time?

No comments:

Post a Comment