Saturday, 11 October 2014

がいじん no more

Post XVI

Today I want to Okayama again (have I told the blog I have been already? Who knows. In case not, Okayama is fairly near me and is pretty awesome). I bought the new 3ds and super smash bros. Good bye what little free time I have!! So I am pretty excited about getting home. I also bought a tea set, which rather sadly I am equally excited about (a sign of aging perhaps???). 

Speaking of tea I popped in to a really nice looking antique shop, treating it more like a museum than having any intention to buy, knowing that it would be extortionately expensive. When I entered the shop I was greeted by the owner who began speaking to me in rapid Japanese. I asked him to slow down, and then realised he was offering me tea. Too polite to turn down is offer, I accepted, and was lead in to a small room crammed full of antiques with two benches facing opposite each other. Tea was poured and I was forced in to a very difficult conversation in Japanese. Much of what the man said went over my head, and I continually apologised for my terrible Japanese, but none the less we exchanged words for about 10 minutes until I exhoisted my Japanese vocabulary. I was then praised for my speaking ability (laughable if you had heard how bad it was), and got up and left. It was a lovely piece of Japanese hospitality, but what I enjoyed the most is that he recognised immediately that I was not a tourist. His imprinting statement was 'you live near here, right?' . So that made me feel chuffed. Perhaps I have finally stopped bumbling around like some clumsy Gaijin and started to fit in a bit more, even if my japanese does suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment