Post XV
I had a little excursion recently, to Tokushima, which is known for its natural beauty and remoteness. And god was it remote. We had planned to eat in the town, `Oboke`, once we got off the train, but there wasn`t a single restaurant. It was like the express train had just stopped at some arbitrary location along its tracks and let us off. It was very strange indeed.
Fortunately I recognized the Kanji for `Bashi ` which meant we hopped on a bus, heading for Kazurabashi, hopeful that we would find the Ryokan (Japanese guest house) on the way. Luckily the bus announcement was very clear, and the bus stopped right outside the Ryokan, so it was all relatively stress free. When we got there, the names of the people checking in were written in the entrance hall. The person checking in after me was called Yu Ka Wai. Which when read, sounds like “You Kawaii”, which is a Japanese word for super cute and awesome.
We had a couple of hours before we had to check in, so we went on a food hunt. We walked for about 40 minutes, following a hand drawn map, to no avail, so we headed back to the hotel. It then turned out that right next door to the hotel in the other direction from which we had walked, there was a small gift shop that also sold soba noodles. Typical, I suppose, but the walk was really nice and we had a great view of Oboke gorge and the river which name escapes me, perhaps the Iya river but I might be wrong.
Then, we basically had two days of Onsen! There was a range of outside and inside baths, but the most beautiful one by far was the Kazurabashi Onsen, which was up a cable car, and was just fantastic (I`ll try to put a picture on the blog post too!). Kazurabashi also has a very famous vine bridge, which we crossed and was terrifying! All in all, pretty nice weekend. I`ve put a link to a travel video of the weekend which was made by a Japanese iPhone app. The result is pretty hilarious but you`ll also get the idea of the beautiful scenery!
http://magis.to/en4jAUxAA1kzLiEHDmEwCXh4



No comments:
Post a Comment