Post XIX
A little while ago I went on the world`s most Japanese school trip. First, we visited a disaster prevention center, where we learned about how to cope with various disasters. There was a bunch of simulator rooms, which were all great fun, and some were actually quite scary (for example the earthquake simulator, which the kids insisted be set to the highest level, of course).
After that, we went to the traffic flow control center to learn about traffic lights and other such things. It was probably the most boring two hours of my life to date, and the building was so hot that I just wanted to pass out. But, there was one highlight when a security guard crept up to me and whispered: "Hello, where are you from?" I said, the UK. He then said, "Ah. UK traffic lights, same?" to which I told him they weren`t. At which point he thanked me and walked away. I am sure this is not true, but it seemed like he had been waiting for some time for the chance to ask that question to someone. He could have used the internet, but I was glad to put an end to his anticipation.
Then we had lunch. This was the highlight of my day for two reasons. First, Japanese mums pull out all the stops to make sure their child has the cutest lunch. Second, every kid has more sweets that I could eat in an entire week, and they were fighting over giving me some!
The bento boxes all had really cute food in them, and one mum even made a Kirby out of rice!!
They were all so cool, and the sweets were awesome too. I was eating things that I hadn`t even seen in Japan yet, so who knows where they find all of these things!
After lunch we went to the local landscape garden which is very beautiful. I pretended to push one of the kids (one of the little “jokers”) in the water when he was feeding Koi, and he jumped out of his skin! He looked at me and said “Sensei not funny!!” which just made it even more funny for me. Of course, he saw the funny side, and appreciated that I was pulling pranks on him for a change. Then we had a tea ceremony, and headed home. On the ferry we bumped in to some of the younger kids who had also had their day out. Then began an hour of me being a fair ground attraction. Japanese kids, hyped up on sugar, were jumping all over me, wanting to be carried, spun around, thrown, chased, lifted, dragged and all kinds of other things. It was great fun, but absolutely exhausting.

No comments:
Post a Comment