Friday, 8 August 2014

Another long, rainy day. Still Bright Spirits!



Post III
5.30 am: get up, have a banana and some bread, get showered, get in to my shirt and trousers, prepare for one hell of a sweaty day, because it’s yet another orientation. I was given a lift to the ferry in time for 6.30 am, and the typhoon hasn’t quite materialised enough to stop transport – that happens tomorrow so I keep hearing. Nonetheless, I couldn’t help but ask my supervisor why the ferries had no life boats. She told me that the inland sea is very safe, and so they do not need them. She then said immediately: ‘actually there was a horrific accident once when two boats crashed and 400 people died’ ‘But do not worry, now the ferries have to wait outside the port when there is fog’. Oh. Great. Now, they could have just put some lifeboats on board – which seems to me the logical change in behaviour –  but instead they simply acknowledged the source of the crash, and vowed that that very same thing would never happen again. Oh well, I didn’t press the point. Nonetheless, I couldn’t help but worry a little bit given that on my way back from orientation the typhoon was due to be picking up a bit of force.

The ride home quickly made me realise, though, that this is Japan. The sea, even in the storm, was remarkably calm, and in all seriousness there is so many other boats that you wouldn’t be bobbing about in your life vest too long before someone came and helped you.

Speaking of helping, at orientation I heard a crazy amount of stories of Japanese kindness to us poor foreigners. One girl was driven all the way to the city from the countryside by an old ladies grandson (who, by the sounds of it, ended up in this arrangement rather against his will). On the other side of the prefecture, a good friend of mine stayed in the house of one of his neighbours who spoke no English at all, because his bed did not arrive and he only found out last minute. 

In fact, I remember a great story from the Tokyo orientation of a man getting the last train, but the wrong way. He travelled for an hour in the opposite direction from his house. So he gets off the train, now at least 2 hours away from his house, and starts panicking. Luckily for him, there is two men loitering in the car park (it is 2 am let me add). He explains his situation and they drove him all the way home! Now, I don’t know about you. But if I got on the wrong train back home, and somehow ended up in Scunthorpe, and saw two men loitering in the car park at 2am, my reaction would be: I better run, they are either crack heads or try will try to rob me, or be crack heads who want to rob me. There is no way in a million years I would get in their car even if they offered, which they wouldn’t.

I also found an arcade today, after orientation, which had street fighter 2 in it. Well, I now know where the change from my beers will be spent. A quick few games, struggling to get past Guile (the pesky all American character), then I had to hurry back in the torrential rain to the last ferry, 6pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment