Saturday, 9 August 2014

Typhoon day 4: the End is Finally in Sight

Post IV

It’s Sunday afternoon and the Typhoon seems like it has passed, or I am in the eye of it, not really sure. I think it's more likly to be the end of it because the bugs have come back out of hiding. I’ve been for two strolls in the Typhoon so far, the first was yesterday when I walked up a hill to a shrine and just sat in the rain for a while; watching the sea aggressively crash against the beach and rocks below. The second was this morning, when I walked towards the local 7-eleven for some food. Before the storm, my supervisor has offered to take me to the store to buy some food, but for some unknown reason I declined the offer – perhaps out of not wanting to inconvenience her, or perhaps out of sheer laziness – so I instead took myself to the local, and very small, coop shop. I bought a couple of 6 packs of beer, some cup noodles, and a pack of broad beans. Looking in my basket I knew I did not have enough food for three days, but I thought ‘stuff it’ and left anyway. 

This morning, however, I regretted this decision. Looking upon a barren fridge, and not much fancying cup noodle for breakfast, I thought: right, time to walk to the 7-eleven. The walk is about half an hour, and the winds and rain were not quite as bad as yesterday, but still pretty fierce. I was wearing a t-shirt and trousers, everyone else was wearing thick raincoats and water-proof trousers. I was getting the good old ‘crazy foreigner’ looks again. I made it about half way when I heard a beep. Two of the younger members of staff at the BOE (no English) saw me and asked where I was going. They offered to drive me and I kindly accepted. About 300m down the road there was so much water that it would have been impassable by foot and I would have had to turn around, so I guess it was lucky they showed up. 

They then offered to wait whilst I shopped, which was very kind of them, but the main reason I had left the house was to get beer – but I felt like I had better not buy any because then they will have gone out of their way to help me just so I can pick up a few tins. Instead, I was sensible and bought some supplies. 

On an unrelated note, I found a porn stash left in my apartment by one of the former ALT’s. I would say that every typhoon has a silver lining, but tentacles and animated sex doesn’t really do it for me. So I guess it’s another long day of being cooped up inside, studying Japanese.

No comments:

Post a Comment